Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Home is Where the Love is.

I'm sitting at Pearson International Airport in Toronto, Ontario waiting to catch the last leg back to Red Deer, Alberta - the place I currently call home.  My son and I are on our way there after spending the last eleven days in St. John's, Newfoundland - the place of our birth.  I left that city with my son when he was only one year old; he's now fourteen.  Of course, he doesn't remember much of the place, but to anyone I know who's visited St. John's - stranger or former resident- that old, old city just feels familiar.  There's a warmth and friendliness that satisfies that needs to feel belonged in each of us. I think my son is no exception.

Even though sad circumstances were the catalyst that brought us back to Newfoundland - I brought my mother back there to be laid to rest - the results of this trip were immeasurably precious to both of us.  We had the blessing of seeing numerous friends and relatives whom, I am ashamed to say, I've let slip slowly from my life over the years.  Promises have been made by all that this will not happen again, and after gaining a new appreciation and respect for them, that is one promise I intend to keep. After being estranged from my father for the last four years, my mother's illness and subsequent death brought us all back together.  Staying with and getting to catch up with my father was very cathartic to both my son and I.  Not having his grandmother anymore, knowing he now has a grandfather he can rely on to be there is priceless.  There was nothing I wanted more for my son than to have that.  It's kinda nice for me to have him back in my life, too [understatement].

BUT...eleven days away from my husband, my stepchildren, my house and our pets is almost more than I can take.  To listen to my husband and I on the phone, or to read our texts this past week, I'm sure you would swear we were two hyper-hormoned teenagers.  I've been in Alberta for thirteen years.  There is no place like the comfort of your own bed, the routine of your own household, the loving embrace of your partner in live, and the gift of watching your children grow; and all of this is in Alberta. My heart is torn; I've caught myself saying two recurring sentences while in Newfoundland: "I'm home from Alberta" and "When I go home to Alberta".  Home really is where the love is.

I'll talk to you later,

Kelly

1 comment:

Old Kitty said...

Awwww how lovely!! You have two homes!! That's great but of course home is where your heart is and where you feel most loved and happiest!!!!

Enjoy your trip from home to home! Take care
x